Logic from the Left Coast

5 guests Online

Week View - Preview

Pages  1   

Michael posted 2070 days ago
Hi everyone,
We've been kicking this around in our Beta Users group and they gave us some great feedback, resulting in some improvements.  What a great group of users!  Now I think it is time to show it to you as well because we are only weeks away from releasing this.  The video clip shows several new features:

• Turn the iPhone sideways, to pull up a Week view.
• Tap on any day, to expand detail.
• Events show start/finish times, so you can 'find time' in your week.
• Tasks with Deadlines, show their deadline dates.
• Advanced Filters can be applied - so, for example, you can view only your Appointments, to help find free time.
• Jump to any date in the calendar.
• Tap on any day in the week, and create an Event for that day (or a Horizon task that begins on that day).

Our month view will be even more unique. But that's under wraps for now.  Enjoy!

Video Clip:  http://leftcoastlogic.com/forum_images/W4.mov

Fly on the Wall posted 2070 days ago
• Events show start/finish times, so you can 'find time' in your week.

It's great for what it is, but I have to say I don't see how it helps users find time in their week. You have to tap on each day to see the event times, so if you are looking to see if a new event will fit somewhere from Monday - Friday, you have to tap five times! By the time I get to Friday, I would have forgotten what Monday's schedule was. Plus, seeing a list of events along with their starting and ending times doesn't let me quickly see how much time is inbetween events. (I'm really bad at doing simple math! If I had to figure out how much time there was between 2:15 and 5:45 I would be lost!) And that's the information I need to find free time.

Hmmm, how about an option where you double tap something or apply some filter and you get a view that shows free time? Like:
Event A
[2 hours]
Event B
Event C (starts right after event B, no free time here)
[15 min]
Event D

Show this info for all days at once, of course. Oh, and add a line to group the events into at least am and pm, like somebody suggested, and this could be usable... maybe.

Good ideas.  We'll look at them for a future release, and listen to the suggestions of all of our users.  You may want to make a separate Feature Suggestion post here, so we can get a good idea about how many of our users would like that feature.   I've been using the protoype of our week view for two weeks now, and it actually works quite well for finding time. I use the "Events" filter.  I suggest you give it a try; I think you'll find it works quite well.
Fly on the Wall posted 2070 days ago
Good ideas.  We'll look at them for a future release, and listen to the suggestions of all of our users.  You may want to make a separate Feature Suggestion post here, so we can get a good idea about how many of our users would like that feature.   I've been using the protoype of our week view for two weeks now, and it actually works quite well for finding time. I use the "Events" filter.  I suggest you give it a try; I think you'll find it works quite well.

Thanks. I'll wait until I get a chance to actually try the week view, and if I still think it needs improvement, I'll put in a feature request.

ivy posted 2070 days ago
It's great for what it is, but I have to say I don't see how it helps users find time in their week. You have to tap on each day to see the event times, so if you are looking to see if a new event will fit somewhere from Monday - Friday, you have to tap five times! By the time I get to Friday, I would have forgotten what Monday's schedule was. Plus, seeing a list of events along with their starting and ending times doesn't let me quickly see how much time is inbetween events. (I'm really bad at doing simple math! If I had to figure out how much time there was between 2:15 and 5:45 I would be lost!) And that's the information I need to find free time.
Completely agree with Fly. It will be as cumbersome to find free time with this interpretation of the week view as with the native iPhone calendar (this is one the of the major critics about the native iPhone calendar). May be even more here because of the presence of the tasks in the list, which can give you the false impression that you have no more time left...

May be even more here because of the presence of the tasks in the list, which can give you the false impression that you have no more time left...
You can use our advance Filter to show only Events. Makes it much easier!  Nobody else has this capability.

hliljegren posted 2069 days ago
You can use our advance Filter to show only Events. Makes it much easier!  Nobody else has this capability.

Agreed, I use this all the time and it's really powerful, but I also agree with Fly and Ive. I can't really see how this will help any further compared with the smart view. And I think I stick to the smart view which I really like. But I would like to be proven wrong, and will be testing this out when it becomes available.

Pages  1